Monday, June 14, 2010

Meal Plan 6/14-6/20

Previous Week (Meal Plan 6/7-6/13)

Meal Plans are wonderful, but life happens. Here is a review of last week's eats and how it all turned out.


Monday's meatloaf and buttermilk mashed potatoes were quite delicious and filling. Meatloaf is the perfect comfort food. I used Ina Garten's recipe for individual meat loaves and was not disappointed.


Tuesday, I made one of my favorites. Peach chicken is easy to assemble and absolutely worth adding to your repertoire. It's a sweet and savory dish with a hint of garlic and ginger. Don't skip the toasted almonds. 


Wednesday, I baked my childhood friend a carrot cake. I got home late from delivering the cake and was glad picadillo was on the menu. Picadillo is a Cuban classic that is quick and easy to prepare. It is so easy Betty Crapper has been making it since before she learned how to cook.


Thursday I made two loaves of banana-nut bread, one for me and one to share. 

Betty Crapper showed her true colors and burnt her arm in the process. Betty Crapper needs to be more careful when taking things out of a hot oven. She needs to be even more careful not to scratch the blister hours later. I made it worse, much much worse.

For lunch on Thursday, I ordered a red curry chicken dish from the local Thai restaurant. Because Betty Crapper refuses to cook Thai food at home, I overindulged and consumed a vast quantity of food. I only had room for a small salad for dinner. The hubby had leftovers.

I still have nightmares about my first experience using fish sauce.


Friday we were supposed to have beef manicotti, homemade bread, and a salad. Life happened and I was out running errands all day. The beef manicotti got pushed to Sunday and homemade frozen pizza dough came to the rescue. 

Saturday, my aunt made camarones enchilados. I should have brought home leftovers.


Sunday we enjoyed the previously postponed beef manicotti. I love pasta. Pasta plus cheese is Betty Crapper's weakness. Add ground beef and I'm in heaven. 

Meal Plan 6/14-6/20 


Monday: spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce and homemade whole wheat bread
Tuesday: chicken fajitas served with sauted red peppers and onions, roasted corn guacamole, sour cream, and homemade flour tortillas
Wednesday: grilled ribeyes, grilled vegetable skewers, and roasted garlic potato wedges
Thursday:
chicken piccata with white rice
Friday: homemade prosciutto pizza and 
salad
Saturday: picadillo with white rice
Sunday: Father's Day plans TBD

I reserve the right to make substitutions and deletions due to laziness.

Baking/Sweets Wish List
(all homemade of course)

My father in-law requested mamey ice cream. He gave me frozen pulp from the mamey sapote trees in his yard. I can't find a recipe anywhere. Do you have any suggestions? 
  • banana-nut bread (I have more over-ripe bananas)
  • mamey ice cream
  • Tiramisu (Anyone have an entirely homemade recipe and wish to share?)
If you are in need of further inspiration, check out the weekly Menu Plan Monday post over at I'm an Organizing Junkie

11 comments:

  1. I've never used frozen pizza dough before. How do you use it? does it need to re-rise after thawing? got a great recipe that works well for it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I make pizza dough, I usually make enough for three pizzas. I freeze two of the dough balls. The day before I have pizza on the menu I will place the dough in the refrigerator. The next day, about an hour or two before I need the dough I'll take it out of the refrigerator so it can come to room temperature. The pizza dough actually tastes much better if it's been allowed to hang out in the refrigerator tightly wrapped for a day or two. You wrap up the dough tightly in plastic wrap after the second rise. I have a fantastic pizza dough recipe I'll share it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a delicious week of eating! I have to say that I'm not even sure what a mamey is! Could you make a sorbet with it and maybe through a bit of heavy cream into the mix to make it more sherbet like perhaps? I wish I was there to try it. It sounds like it's going to be delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's supposed to be THROW. Welcome to Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if these are what your looking for, but I thought you might be able to tinker with one to get a good recipe for the ice cream.

    http://deliciouschronicles.blogspot.com/2008/07/strange-summer-ice-cream.html

    http://www.mexcart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5159

    http://tinkeringwithdinner.blogspot.com/2009/09/tropical-fruit-salad-ice-cream.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roasted garlic potato wedges sound mighty yummy. Looks like a great week! P.S. Love the blog name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely looks like some delicious eats. Sorry about the burnt arm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures are making me hungry for last week! Cracks me up about overindulging at lunch - I've done that several times this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a genius idea (freezing the dough) Do you need to let it rise again or is it just ready to go??
    ~Amy @www.thecheapandchoosy.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another thing...we had friends for dinner and I made 3 pizza dough balls, I cook one at a time as I only have 1 stone and by the end of the 2nd we were all full so I punched down the third one and shaped it for loaf bread and put it in loaf pan to rise. Made DELICOUS bread! All that garlic and basil and oregano. Now I'm going to be torn as to whether to make it into bread or freeze it for later!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I clicked over here from Org Junkie and am so glad I did. My favorite part of your menu? The laziness disclaimer. I need to print that out and hang it in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete