Saturday, June 5, 2010

Fresh Corn Soup with Roasted Corn Guacamole


After the corn tortilla debacle, Betty Crapper decided to pay homage to the humble maize plant in hopes of ensuring pliable corn tortillas at a later date. 

Betty Crapper made Fresh Corn Soup with Roasted Corn Guacamole. Betty Crapper embraced corn and did not fear failure!

The humble maize plant rewarded me with a sweet and spicy side dish. The soup was creamy without the use of cream. The roasted corn guacamole added a surprisingly crunchy bite to an otherwise one dimensional soup. Betty Crapper loved it. Betty Crapper's hubby loved it, and not just because he chose the recipe on his iPad's beautifully designed Epicurious app

Yes, Betty Crapper is green with envy. 

The soup and guacamole were quite easy to make and not at all intimidating. The ingredients were few and simple.


Begin by removing the corn from the cob. Beware of the flying corn. Betty Crapper made a mess and had corn all over the counter and floor. Hey! Be nice.


Toss kernels from three ears of corn in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes. You are looking to have some crunchy dark ones. 


Place kernels from six ears of corn in a blender.


Saute garlic, onion, and jalapeno in olive oil until soft.


Add to blender and process until smooth. 


Betty Crapper was not able to get it super smooth because her nine month old detests the sound of the blender. Betty Crapper hates her baby crying more than lumpy soup.

Add the vegetable mixture to your soup pot. Cook over medium heat and stir constantly until the soup thickens. 


Slowly add the chicken broth and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Lower heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.


Make your guacamole. Combine roasted corn, red onion, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, and jalapeno in a bowl. Carefully add avocado. Season with salt and pepper.


Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon guacamole into center and garnish with cilantro.


Fresh Corn Soup with Roasted Corn Guacamole
(Adapted from Epicurious)
serves 4

Guacamole

Kernels from 3 ears fresh corn
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 lime, finely grated zest and juice
1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded, finely chopped
1 avocado, pitted and chopped

Soup

Kernels from 5 ears fresh corn
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, stemmed and chopped
salt and black pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
cilantro sprigs, to garnish

Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place kernels for guacamole on baking sheet. Toss kernels with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes until corn turns golden brown. Set aside.

Put kernels for soup in blender. Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add garlic, red onion, and jalapeno. Add salt and pepper and saute about six minutes until soft. Transfer vegetables to blender and process until smooth. Add vegetables to soup pot and cook over medium for a few minutes. Stir constantly until soup thickens. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Lower heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, finish your guacamole. In a bowl combine the roasted corn, red onion, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, and jalapeno. Carefully add the avocado. Season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon guacamole into center of bowl. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Tips
  • Beware, the soup does have quite a spicy bite. 
  • If you desire less heat, make sure you remove the ribs and seeds of the jalapenos. 
  • Never, ever touch your eyes after handling jalapenos. Betty Crapper learned this the hard way and now wears gloves.

This is now Betty Crapper's favorite way to consume corn. What is yours?

21 comments:

  1. That looks SO good! I'm a vegetarian so I especially appreciate hearty soups like this. And the spice is great - yum!!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should thank you for visiting Miel et Lait, but since you found me, I found you. And you blog has too, too many yummy recipes. My bottom doesn't need a yummy blog! (But, my tummy LOVES a good food blog!)

    Now, you've got me hooked & I'm following. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great soup for summer...heck I'll just take some of that corn guac!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks so delicious. I could have a bowl for breakfast right now. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family is going to be enjoying their dinners now that I've found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love soups and this looks like one everybody would enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know i am torturing myself, but reading recipe and food blogs is the next best thing to a food trip. i devour cookbooks and watch the cooking channel like it's HBO.

    thanks for dropping by my blog. i'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy!! (Especially the salsa!) Thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks absolutetly amazing! I would love to try this out someday. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlene: I'm actually going to make this soup for my vegetarian sister. Make sure you use vegetable stock.

    Miel Abeille: Tummy trumps the tush in my book. Thanks for following.

    Me, Myself & Pie: the guacamole was my favorite part. I'm thinking of making it again next week for tacos.

    Susi: thanks.

    kneesandpaws: Not everything I make has a happy outcome. :) I earned my nickname the old fashioned way.

    My kitchen in the rockies: you are most welcome.

    Cheri: thanks for following. I love cookbooks too. Any recommendations?

    Lostinaseaofblogs: I enjoyed the visit. chocolate? you know you wanna ...

    Trulyana: Thanks. It is a most happy weekend. Say hello to the cat for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now THIS looks amazing! I love love love your corn guacamole. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good! I wish my husband could have corn -- I'd give this a try.

    Thanks for stopping by Sugar Tails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing! I am trying this for sure :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and Happy Sits Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That actually looks really good! I'm not usually a guac person -- but CORN guac, hmmm...

    And thank you for stopping by my blog! Hopefully see ya round more! Happy SITS Sat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks yummy. I'm not a big fan of corn by itself, but I love it in a soup.

    Thanks for stopping by Cook Clean Craft!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful, I do so love the taste of fresh corn!
    Have a wonderful weekend ahead.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betty, there was a time when lamb was served regularly at American tables. It was however very fatty and I it fell by the wayside for several generations. Nowadays, leg of lamb remains hard to carve and is an expensive way to feed a family. It's a shame because it is delicious. Those fatty legs of old can no longer be found and the improved strains of meat are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my, that looks delicious! i'm going to try out a modified veggie version, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks positively delicious! I love that spicy bite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. julie, thanks. that corn guacamole was really easy and yummy.

    GlowinGirl, what a shame your husband can't have corn. You could always make half.

    Lindy Leigh, Let me know if you like it.

    Carey and Jon, Corn is definitely the star of the party. You barely notice the avocado.

    Cook Clean Craft, I love corn in soup too

    Heavenly Housewife, the corn I bought was so sweet. I was eating the kernals as I cut them off the cob.

    Mary, thank you for the information. I love learning something new. I can't wait to put lamb on my menu.

    annalene, you are most welcome. Let me know how your modified version turns out.

    Cinnamon-Girl, I love spicy food and should make an effort to make it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks heavenly and so fresh! I'm all about spice,so I'm definitely trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete