Thursday, May 27, 2010

Homemade Ground Beef Tacos


Betty Crapper makes homemade tacos at least every other week. I love them with either shredded chicken or ground beef. Tuesday, I made tacos with homemade flour tortillas, salsa, guacamole, shredded sharp cheddar, fresh limes, and sour cream.


Homemade tacos are more time consuming than a stop at Taco Bell. Betty Crapper feels that time is worth it.

M's Ground Beef Tacos


Salsa

2 1/2  tomatoes, diced
1/4 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
juice from 1/2 lime
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Mix above in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Betty Crapper adds a touch of honey if tomatoes are out of season and tasteless. Feel free to add a minced jalapeno if you dare.


Guacamole

1/2 tomato, diced
1/4 onion, diced
2 Haas Avocados
1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
1 tsp red wine vinegar
juice from 1/2 lime
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Halve avocados and remove the large seed. Score with knife and scoop out the good stuff. Lightly mix all ingredients in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Press that plastic wrap right up to the guacamole to keep it nice and green. Betty Crapper also likes to leave the seeds in the bowl to keep the avocado from browning. She's not sure if the seed trick really works. 

Make tortilla dough and set aside.


Grate sharp cheddar cheese. Why cheddar? That's what I had. Betty Crapper promises cheese grated at home tastes better than store bought grated cheese with added anti-caking agents. Try it sometime.


Ground Beef

2 tsp canola oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb ground beef
4 oz tomato sauce
2 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft, but not brown. Add garlic and saute about 30 seconds. Add meat and cook, breaking up large pieces, until browned. Add tomato sauce and spices. Lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Make your tortillas


Betty Crapper is looking to shake up her tacos. How do you build your tacos? Suggestions are much appreciated.

20 comments:

  1. Now you have me craving tacos and guac! I like to make my taco meat in the slow cooker. You add in all the spices with a little water and a small can of tomato sauce and then just let it cook for a few hours. It really gives the spices a chance to soak into the meat.

    I just learned about making my own tortillas as well. It's amazing how easy it is. I would have never thought to do it before I was challenged to try.

    Those look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shake up the ground beef part by borrowing from a nacho recipe. The meat mixture has refried beans, brown sugar, and chipotle in it. Makes awesome tacos and the beans stretch the meat...that's a Cooking for Your Family tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! I'd make tacos a couple times a week if I thought I could get away with it :p

    I love black beans, and sometimes I add them in to my taco meat; I especially like it with chicken tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy Love tacos! Especially with homemade salsa!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Moly. I just found your blog and when I read the title I burst out laughing in my quiet office..nice! The salsa looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Julie, MM, and postmommy for the tips.

    Lindsay I'm glad I made you laugh. Laughing is a great way to start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tacos look waaay better than Taco Bell. I'm so impressed you make your own tortillas. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pretty much build my tacos just like you. Sometimes I use plain avocado slices and diced tomatoes or combine the two and make avocado salsa. These are extra special with your homemade tortillas! And I'd love one of your raspberry bars for dessert!

    P.S. A little birdie told me you can make my Pad Thai without the fish sauce. Just be sure to add some salt to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh...they look so good! I'm sitting here drooling!

    Stopped by to say happy SITS Saturday Sharefest...and now I'm following :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything tastes better home-made! :) I wonder what I could use for a veggie version, instead of the beef. I usually make peppers and onions for Mexican dishes, but this feels like it could use something a little, well, meatier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi thanks for dropping by my blog and left a comment. To me anything homemade taste so much better. You have a great memorial day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Mexican hubby loves morning time tacos. Instead of the beef, we cook up scrambled eggs with Mexican chorizo. It's a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by from SITS:) I would make tacos more often if I made guac and salsa too! But alas, I am culinarily challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yumm, your guacamole looks really good. I love tacos with homemade guac and salsa!
    A SITS friend

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK. I'm hungry now!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this looks SOOO good!!! I will definitely be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those tortillas are calling my name....they look delicious.

    Sometimes I add a can of hot and spicy chili beans (with gravy) to my taco meat. Stretches out the meat, add protein and fiber, and is pretty tasty.

    Although, yours are looking pretty fantastic on their own:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love tacos! Yours look delicious. I want tacos for dinner tonight now. I don't care that my spouse had them for lunch,, that's his problem not mine LOL :) You have a hilarious and delicious blog, I'm glad I found you!! If you want to check mine out its at Andrea-thekitchenwitch.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete