Friday, May 14, 2010

Carrot Cake


Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Yum!

It is good; really, really good. I am not just saying that because I made it yesterday and have a piece within reach. 

Jealous?

Betty Crapper's carrot cake is delicious and decadent. There is nothing healthy or low fat about it. The frosting is rich and creamy. Did I mention it is really, really good? 

Betty Crapper likes to brag.

Why did I first start making carrot cake over 25 years ago? I am not sure, but I am very glad I did. It all started when my maternal tia gave me my third baking book. I was still in elementary school and already baking obsessively. 


The poor thing looks pitiful after all these years. The cover is loose and the pages are yellow. I am positive there is mold growing in that book.


You need lots of carrots for carrot cake. Don't ever, ever buy pre-grated carrots for carrot cake. 

When I first started making carrot cake, my parents did not own a food processor. We didn't even own a metal box grater. We had this round, plastic tupperware contraption that sliced and grated. I remember it was green and required exhausting elbow grease to grate three cups of carrots. Plastic can never be as sharp as metal. 

A young Betty Crapper complained frequently to no avail.

About ten years ago, Betty Crapper finally received a food processor for Christmas. It's not the fancy, large capacity machine of her dreams (hint, hint!), but it does the job quickly with no elbow grease.



I rarely open the book anymore for fear of what I might find. Here is the original recipe. Yes, those are stains. The recipe for carrot cake has long been committed to memory.


You will need 

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup canola oil
4 large eggs

In large mixer bowl stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add carrots, oil, and eggs. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.


Pour the yummy batter into a 13 X 9 inch pan or two 9 inch rounds.

How do I know the batter is yummy? Betty Crapper is not afraid of salmonella.


Bake in a 325 F oven for 50 to 60 minutes (40 min for 9 in rounds).


When the cake is cool, make the frosting. You will need to double the recipe to frost layers.


You will need

3 ounces cream cheese (never, ever fat free or low fat)
1/4 cup butter (never, ever margarine)
2 cups powdered sugar

Betty Crapper is lazy and does not sift her powdered sugar. 

Put butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in bowl.


Cream it. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.


Did you notice the burn mark on Betty Crapper's rubber spatula? Betty Crapper didn't get her name for nothin'.

Add powdered sugar and beat until it reaches it's most luscious potential. 

Frost your cake! 

Betty Crapper does not know how to frost pretty cakes.


Enjoy a piece of Betty Crapper's carrot cake ...


Betty Crapper indulged three times today.

5 comments:

  1. Sweet Lady Gaga that looks incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big fan of carrots but, carrot cake is the best! The cookbooks like that are the best also! I have many of them with notes scribbled everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing happens to me with bananas. I detest bananas, but love banana bread.

    I am a firm believer in the power of flour and sugar. Magic happens when they are added to fruits and vegetables we don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some old and very used cookbooks like this too! Their the best. I like to make notes in them too. I'm totally sold on your carrot cake! Scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love carrot cake and this looks delicious! Love that old, used cookbook. I have a couple of treasures like that as well :o)

    ReplyDelete